Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Lessons Learned: Behind the Scenes

"As the success of Apple shows, simple is good. People like simple. But the Apple example also shows that you have to work awfully hard to make something complex seem simple. You need to work your way through simplistic and complex before you get to simple.How can you do this? The secret to making things look simple is to build a deep understanding of the system." - Tim Kastelle
I remember participating in RAPP XXV and seeing Rebecca or Tara facilitate our meetings. As I watched them, I thought to myself "I can do that." Years later, I am. However, it took all the time between then and now to be decent at it. In reality there are still moments when I feel completely overwhelmed by all that I still have yet to learn. 
People, myself included, have a tendency to see the finished product and forget all of the effort that went into creating it. Behind each of our RAPP meetings, hours of planning take place among the formal leadership team (Peer Leaders and Facilitators). Speaking of that formal leadership team; they weren't born into their roles. Each position filled required trained; both beforehand and on-the-job. Oh and those topics we discuss in RAPP may seem random at times, but in reality they are part of a 9 month curriculum that is designed and updated with the group's needs in mind. 
So the next time you see a finished product and think "I can do that," remember the behind the scenes steps you likely aren't seeing. Then ask yourself "why haven't I?" 
Lessons Learned is a RAPP Blog initiative intended for folks who hold formal leadership positions in RAPP programs to share what they're learning through their process

No comments:

Post a Comment