Via the UC Staff listserv:
Let me highlight just a handful of our key successes in 2010:
• The largest enrollment in UC history with over 41,350 students arriving in fall quarter.
• Launching our new strategic plan, UC2019 – Accelerating Our Transformation.
• Record-breaking total research funding at more than $443 million, an increase of 17 percent over last year.
• Gaining recognition as one of the world's most beautiful college campuses. Forbes said: "Architecture students at UC need only step outside the classroom to observe some of the more cunning modern architecture of their day."
• Ranking among the top 200 World Universities, according to The Times Higher Education magazine in London.
• Formation of the new UC Health system.
• Launching of the student-led Proudly Pennies campaign and the "1819" alumni giving effort, as well as reaching the $715-million mark in our $1 billion Proudly Cincinnati Campaign.
• Doubling the number of start-up companies sparked by UC researchers, thanks to changes in state law.
• Being part of four of the five Centers of Excellence named so far by the state of Ohio and the Ohio Board of Regents and being a partner in the "Consumer Marketing" Hub of Innovation and Opportunity announced by the state of Ohio.
• Big East Player of the Year honors for volleyball player Stephanie Niemer and Big East Coach of the Year honors for volleyball head coach Reed Sunahara, as the Bearcats captured the regular season championship trophy and competed in the NCAA volleyball championship.
• Completion of Phase 1 of the Sheakley Athletics Complex and indoor practice facility.
This list reminds me of the tremendous milestones we have reached in just 12 months. I am truly proud of the University of Cincinnati – our students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters. I hope you share that pride, and I look forward to many more strides for our university in the year ahead.
Wishing you all the best for 2011!