Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Lessons Learned: Don't Underestimate, Don't Procrastinate


When work is particularly out of my comfort zone (for example, designing a tri-fold board using a new marketing technique), it's particularly wise to not underestimate the work involved nor procrastinate.

Recently, I was given the task of designing the new look for RAPP's promotional tri-fold board that we use during tabling events. How hard could it be? Well, I am an information technology major with a love of history. I also enjoy reading fantasy novels and watching bad television in my free time. Nowhere in those last two sentences did I mention design or marketing. This leaves me wondering why I felt so confident when tasked with designing this board.

In my over-confidence, I procrastinated and worked on other things. I kept saying to myself that I would finish everything else first and only then would I have time to concentrate on the board. Well time flew by and there I was, rushing to complete my assignment with almost no time left. In hindsight I should have worked on the board first to gauge my productivity, especially considering my inexperience with this kind of work.  

Lessons Learned is a RAPP Blog initiative intended for folks who hold formal leadership positions in RAPP programs to share what they're learning through their process

No comments:

Post a Comment