Thursday, June 26, 2014

Lessons Learned: Don't Be Afraid to Accept Help

 “Be brave enough to accept the help of others.” - Melba Cosgrove



When a colleague offers help, it can be wise to accept that help if you can. You can benefit from the strengths they bring. Accepting help from a friend or colleague is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength. 

I was recently assigned the task of designing some marketing material for the RAPP program. Though out of my comfort zone, I was excited to begin and quite proud of my new responsibility. However, a week into my work it became a different story. My pace slowed and I felt my brain turning to mush. A colleague of mine offered to help me and I turned down their assistance. If I had genuinely not needed the help that would make sense, but I did and I knew my pride was a factor. My project did finish on time, but it likely would have been even better had I accepted the help of my coworker.   

Don't let pride come in the way of a better final product. The task is always more important than your pride. 

Lessons Learned is a RAPP Blog initiative intended for folks who hold formal leadership positions in RAPP programs to share what they're learning through their process

No comments:

Post a Comment