Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Lessons Learned: Role-modeling in-the-moment learning is valuable

Role-modeling in-the-moment learning is a valuable form of role-modeling because it humanizes us as facilitators and demonstrates the possibility of what we are teaching.

In last week's Lessons Learned post, I mentioned that none of us on the facilitation team were born facilitators. We each had to learn a lot to be in our current roles and this learning is ongoing.

I remember early in RAPP XXIX's year transcribing what some of the RAPPers were saying during a meeting. I wanted to be quick and in that quickness I shorthanded an expression that some in the room found to be offensive. No one called me out on it right away, but later we discussed what I wrote and I apologized. I could have just kept going with my next activity, but we decided to stop and revisit the mistake I made. By doing this, we role-modeled that mistakes happen and we all make them. The key is to learn from them and move on in a way that is constructive.



Lessons Learned is a RAPP Blog initiative intended for folks who hold formal leadership positions in RAPP programs to share what they're learning through their process

No comments:

Post a Comment