History of the Rennella Scholarship:
Rafael Rennella was a student leader at the University of Cincinnati. He came to Cincinnati from Argentina in 1979 and eventually earned a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering at U.C. in 1994. Rafael left a legacy of service and accomplishment. Always true to his ethnic roots, Rafael founded the Hispanic Engineers at the University of Cincinnati, devoted long hours to the Emerging Ethnic Engineers program and helped found Latinos en Acción, a student organization active in political and social causes on campus. He served as president of Latinos en Acción in 1994-1995. Upon graduating from U.C., Rafael began working with Procter & Gamble as a systems analyst. Rafael’s life and labor were cut short at the age of 26 when he died of an asthma attack in 1995. Shortly thereafter, students, staff, faculty, alumni and P&G employees organized to develop a plan to raise $25,000 towards an endowment goal.
· Applicants must be full time matriculated undergraduate students currently enrolled at the University of Cincinnati. Matriculated means that applicants are actively carrying a minimum of 12 quarter credit hours and have been admitted to a degree program.
· Students must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.
· Applicants must have documented community service hours.
Preference will be given to students:
· Who carry a GPA of 3.0 or higher
· Who have demonstrated leadership in any of the following groups: Latinos en Acción, Club Hispano or Alpha Psi Lambda.
· Who express a desire to continue their roles in the Latino Community on and off campus.
· Who display community service events that are focused toward the Latino community.
All applications will be reviewed by the selection committee members who will be comprised of eligible faculty and staff to review the applications. The qualifying candidates will then meet with the committee members during the week of April 12th – April 16th, 2010. Applicants will be evaluated on three primary criteria: academic record at U.C., proven leadership positions and commitment to serving the University of Cincinnati Latino community. The scholarship awarded for the academic year of 2010-2011 dispersed in equal amounts during the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters.
Application Deadline: Friday April 2nd, 2010
E-mail or Give Application to:
UC Ethnic Programs & Services