Friday, September 2, 2011

A Much Needed Update

In checking out the new blog interface (the behind the scenes part we use to post here), I found that this post from around two years ago never actually went up.  This is not a video that's been in use since looking for RAPP XXV, but I thought it good to go ahead and let this post finally have its day.  I thought it went up two years ago!

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

One of the amazing but challenging parts of RAPP is the continual process of self-evaluation and acknowledging the ways in which we perpetuate oppression in our daily lives. I finally have dealt with one of those that's been bugging me for a while.

Back in December I made a little "video" for RAPP (shown in an earlier post). Right away I caught a few typos and less-than-quality photos that needed to be swapped out. But, I never fixed those. A while later I realized another big issue. But, I kept using the same excuses - I hate MovieMaker, no one else will notice, I just don't have time - to avoid fixing it.

Considering how much it bugged me, it's sad that I took this long to finally start fixing it (the issue transfered over to later videos with the same format/different songs). If you watch the section on how RAPP "A place to teach others," nearly all the active people in the pictures were White.

I think the biggest (somewhat) unconscious excuse I used to take so long to fix it was having to 'fess up that I perpetuated the all-too-common racist assumption that White people have the most to teach others.




-Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment